The listed houses in this road form part of the original Bedford Park development circa
1875 to 85. Picturesque style, mostly three storeys, red brick and tile, gable and dormers.
Part tile hung. Single storey bay to front; three storey, gabled bay to return. Lower, flat
roofed wing at rear with coved cornice.
With a plain brick elevation and small front bay, this type is sometimes found combined
with SD6, which has a two-storied front bay surmounted by a timber gabled projection.
Both types are based on the same plan, and the cornice is generally timber.
Examples: 37 and 39 The Avenue; 48 Bath Road; 10 Bedford Road; 1 and 2 Queen
Anne’s Grove; 1,2, 35 and 37 Woodstock Road.
Fence: probably a low close boarded fence, radiused at junctions with oak posts, with a
panel and turned posts style gate (type C). See Berry F Berry’s lithograph looking east
down Bath Road and early postcard of Chiswick School of Art c: 1920 ( J.C.G.)
Detached two-bay two-storey house with attic, built c.1879 to a design either by E. W.
Godwin or William Wilson. Rectangular on plan, facing north; three-storey gabled canted bay to east pitch elevation, lean-to single-storey entrance bay to west elevation, stepped
two- and single-storey flat-roofed return to south gable. Pitched tiled roof, angled red clay
ridge tiles, replacement brick chimneystack corbelled chimneycap, stringcourse,
pulvinated red clay chimneypots, moulded extruded aluminum gutters to overhanging
eaves. Red brick Flemish-bonded walling, vertically hung red clay tiles above sill-level of
second-floor south and north gable windows, with scalloped diaper patterns to canted
bay; splayed rendered plinth to ground floor sill-level. ariety of segmental- and squareheaded
window openings throughout, painted timber multi-light casements. Segmentalheaded
entrance opening set in pitched red clay tiled porch to north elevation of
entrance bay brick jambs, painted timber horizontal tripartite door, glazed above,
masonry threshold. Set back from Bath Road to north by clamp-buttressed brick wall,
bull-nosed copping, between brick piers with elaborate moulded terracotta caps and ball
finials, painted timber gate.